Table Talk | Dec. 9-10
This weekend’s sermon started with some of our favorite Christmas carols like “Joy to the World” and moved into understanding their profound significance. We also discussed the story of Jesus’ birth, the heart of Christmas, and the potent meaning behind His name. We dove into the biblical account of the Magi’s visit and how it highlights Jesus as the long-awaited Messiah for Israel. This story served as a backdrop for our discussion on the importance of actively adoring Jesus, disrupting our daily routines to fully appreciate His love this season.
Here are some key takeaways from the sermon:
– Christmas carols are not just joyful melodies, but they invite us to gather in unity and celebrate our Savior, Jesus.
– The name of Jesus signifies the Lord’s ability to save and holds tremendous power.
– The story of the Magi illustrates the importance of active adoration for Jesus, encouraging us to disrupt our daily preoccupations to fully appreciate His love this season.
– We are invited to respond to the Gospel and make Jesus the rightful ruler of our lives, just as the Magi did. Let’s carry these lessons with us as we navigate this Christmas season, seeking to actively adore Jesus in our daily lives.
- What is your favorite Christmas carol and why? Do you believe that the lyrics of this carol carry a deeper, spiritual meaning?
- Discuss the significance of Jesus’ name as described in the sermon. Why do you think His name holds so much power? (Refer to Philippians 2:9-11)
- How does the act of singing Christmas carols and worshiping Jesus unify us as believers, especially during the holiday season? (Refer to Colossians 3:16)
- How does the story of the birth of Jesus resonate with you personally? How does it inspire you to deepen your relationship with Him? (Refer to Luke 2:1-20)
- The sermon mentioned the GoFund Kingdom project. How can we as a group support such initiatives and live out our faith practically during this Christmas season? (Refer to James 2:14-17)
- Pastor Todd talked about the Magi’s visit. How does their adoration for Jesus challenge us in our own worship and relationship with Him? (Refer to Matthew 2:1-12)
- How does adoring Jesus disrupt our daily preoccupations? How can we create more space in our lives to truly appreciate His love this season? (Refer to Luke 10:38-42)
- We talked about the difference between being seekers and observers in our faith journey. Discuss some practical ways we can actively pursue a relationship with Jesus, rather than just gathering information about Him. (Refer to Jeremiah 29:13)
- Pastor Todd focused on the concept of adoration. Discuss the five markers of adoration and how they apply to our devotion to Jesus.
- How can we prioritize Jesus and actively express our devotion to Him in our daily lives, particularly during this Christmas season? (Refer to Matthew 6:33)